Pop up meals on wheels

We’ve all done it at one time or another, after stumbling out from the pub late at night feeling peckish, taken in the delights of the nearest burger van.  Other times we may have sampled something a little more gourmet. Festivals and outdoor events are ideal places to get a huge amount of traffic from hungry customers.

Pop up restaurants or street food outlets are becoming extremely popular.  They offer a level of excitement and authenticity and you may be considering running your own enterprise.

As you would expect, there are many aspects and legal requirements to consider during the planning stages.

If you are planning on hiring a team of helpers from 1 to 100, who all must be trained in food safety, you will need something called an Employers Liability insurance certificate.  And if you have more than 5 members of staff you’ll also need a Health and Safety policy as well as being required to carry out fire risk assessments.

You’ll need to register with the local authority and their Environmental Health office and be required to carry out Health and Safety risk assessments You also need to make sure you have the relevant street trading permissions for the location you plan on holding your pop up.  Most councils will offer street trading licences specially for pop up traders.

This may all sound daunting, but that’s where our experience comes in.

If you would like a little more help and advice on starting your own pop up street food destination, the Popupspace team are well equipped to assist.  We have a range of services that could help, from location to retail insurance.  Get in touch for a chat today.


Sarah James, Popupspace

This entry was posted in festivals, pop up restaurants, pop up shops and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.